Friday, December 7, 2018

Mary-memorandum

Wedding Guest: Cocktail Attire







Styling Tips:
Cocktail attire means any formal dress that's tea-length and above. Just remember that this is a family affair, so you don't want to go too short. For fall and winter weddings, I love bright colors and rich jewel tones but if I go with a black dress, I try to balance the somber tone with some other festive element like the ladylike lace and fun, twirl-worthy skirt of this dress.


My Favorite Boots Styled Two Ways!

 Despite being an incurable shoe 
hoarder lover, I don’t believe I have ever owned a pair of shoes that I have legitimately worn 16 hours a day, six days in a row… by choice.  As you may have seen on my insta stories lately, I have been completely, utterly, hopelessly obsessed with these Tamara Mellon Hustler boots and have (truly) been wearing them every single day since their arrival.  From work meetings to casual Friday at the office to swanky holiday parties and everything in between, the boots have not left my feet.  Today, I’m showcasing two favorite ways to style them, and breaking down all of the reasons why they’re officially my favorite boots.
 First, let’s talk about the brand.  If the name Tamara Mellon doesn’t ring any bells, let me give you a quick tune up:  Tamara Mellon co-founded a little footwear line called JIMMY freaking CHOO back in 1996.  I should probably mic-drop it there, but let me just tell you that after winning the shoe game with Jimmy Choo, this epic lady boss decided she wanted to change the game and rewrite the rules.  I have to say, every mantra of her new eponymous brand rings true with me after trying out these “Hustler” boots.  The shoe’s design is truly perfect, and the quality is unparalleled.  But, the best part?  By cutting out corporate fat and industry middlemen (remember, this isn’t her first rodeo) she’s offering up a TOP notch luxury shoe, at a fraction of the price.  It honestly looks and feels like a $2K boot, but retails for $525.  Insanity.
 Not only is every last detail of the tapered toe and sleek silhouette absolutely perfect, but somehow, the shoe is UNBELIEVABLY comfortable.  Combining this comfort factor with the versatility of the style… well, I may never wear another shoe.  The pointed toe lends a classic touch making it appropriate in a dressy or professional setting, while the block heel and sleek suede construction allow it to pair effortlessly with your favorite weekend duds.  And, especially during the brutally cold winter months, I’m in desperate need of a true alternative to a classic pump—something with more coverage that doesn’t sacrifice style.  The only question is whether I buy the tan or the sand color next…

 As evidenced by today’s photos, I wore the boots earlier in the workweek with a classic glen plaid sheath dress and a camel coat.  As the work week came to a close, these boots didn’t skip a beat when being dressed down.  I love how effortlessly chic they look with a pair of relaxed mom jeans, basic black turtleneck, and this leopard statement jacket.

In addition to blathering on about the boots, I also have to give a special shoutout to this dreamy Tamara Mellon bag.  I’ve been fielding constant emails and direct messages asking about it after wearing it several days this week on insta stories.  It should come as no surprise that like the boots, the bag is also one of my favorite wardrobe additions of late.  It strikes the perfect balance of structured and relaxed with beautiful gold circular handles and an adjustable cross-body strap.  You can expect to see this beauty in heavy rotation for months and years to come.



 Outfit 1: 

BOOTS: c/o Tamara Mellon  |  BAG: c/o Tamara Mellon  |  DRESS: Mango  | COAT: Topshop (old, similar HERE)  |  BELT: Old, Similar HERE  |  NECKLACE: Kenneth Jay Lane (sold out, similar HERE)  |  SUNGLASSES: BP (similar HERE)  |  LIP: Nars (Under My Thumb, currently on sale!)
 BOOTS: c/o Tamara Mellon  |  BAG: c/o Tamara Mellon  |  JACKET: Smythe  |  JEANS: Old, Similar HERE  |  TOP: Splendid (old, similar HERE)  |  BELT: old, similar HERE  |  SUNGLASSES: LeSpecs  |  LIP: Nars (Under My Thumb, currently on sale!)  |  EARRINGS: Chanel (vintage, love these!)



Interview


 Believe it or not, today's dress is, in fact, a dress! It has all the stylish appeal of separates, with all the comfort and convenience of a dress. Major wins all around! HOWEVER, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to advise that anyone purchasing this dress for interview/professional purposes buy it one to two sizes larger than their normal size. In my opinion, the dress fits me a little tighter than a dress should if you're headed to an interview, but assuming you get the right professionally-appropriate fit, I think it makes for a perfect updated interview look. If you're interviewing for a position in a more formal/conservative office or industry, you may want to go for a coordinating suit jacket and dress set, so I've included several amazing options in the additional favorites section below! Regardless of whether you go for a sleek dress or a suit, remember these four tips for a winning interview look: (1) invest in a well-fitting, tailored ensemble, making sure nothing is too low-cut, too tight (!!) or too short; (2) make sure your shoes are polished and practical; (3) keep accessories simple; and (4) go for minimal, fuss-free hair, nails and makeup.



Date Night


 You want to look great but not like you're trying too hard, so pick one thing to show off. If you go with a shorter dress, go for a higher neckline. If you go with a plunging neckline, offset that element with a longer hem. Similarly, amp up your make-up, but don't go overboard. You want to feel confident and look like yourself!




Client Meeting


 When it comes to client meetings, you want to take your professional style from worker bee to #girlboss. Dress professionally, but don't be afraid to up the ante from a basic suit. If you're not sure about the dress code, err on the side of caution and dress more formally. It's always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed at a client meeting!




Baby Shower


 If you know the gender of the baby, it can be fun to dress accordingly! If it's a boy, wear blues or greens, if it's a girl, wear pinks or purples, and if they're keeping it a surprise, wear gender-neutral hues like yellow! I always find florals to be the perfect way to celebrate the impending arrival of a new little bundle of joy!




Original post----https://www.memorandum.com



No comments: